- The king dismissing the prime minister in an effort to ensure the nation does not slip into a Maoist twilight doesn't move my outrage-meter very much.
- A democracy that produces Maoist collectivism is not nearly the moral equal of a monarchy that holds the line against it.
The situation in Nepal is nothing like Australia. Their friend Bush went to war to fight the Taliban and Saddam Hussein to bring democracy to 50 million people. Nepal has 20 million people but now the King has suspended the following rights indefinitely.
- Freedom of opinion and expression
- Freedom to assemble peacefully and without arms
- Freedom to form unions and associations
- Press and Publication Rights
- Rights against preventive detention
- Right to information
- Right to property
- Right to privacy
- Right to constitutional remedy through writ jurisdiction (Writs like
- mandamus, certiorari, prohibition and quo warranto), except habeas corpus
So does the U.S. support democracy or not?